Thursday, January 12, 2006

I hate coming up with titles

I really like Judge Alito. I purchased a Sirius subscription about 8 months ago in anticipation of Howard Stern heading over there. I find that I love the variety of channels available on Sirius. I can always find something to listen to whether its music or talk. In the last three days I have been riveted to the C-Span station as it has been carrying the Alito confirmation hearings. He seems like an incredibly intelligent, well-reasoned, and articulate judge and I think he will make an excellent Justice. I also have renewed my dislike for politicians. What a bunch of self-important asses.

And Howards been pretty good.

I just realized I never posted this. So, here it is.

3 Comments:

Blogger Myrddyndenox said...

Alito is not bad and I can see no reason to hold up his appointment. I am concerned about his votes on personal rights but he's certainly better qualified to make those decisions than I am.

Howard has been okay and I am surprised that a good Christian man like yourself can stand to listen to his filth without our cherished FCC deciding what we can listen to.
I really enjoyed George Takai's stint on the show.

1/25/2006 11:36 AM  
Blogger Myrddyndenox said...

In retrospect my previous post seems like an attack on Anaximander. I apologize for this and was more interested in attacking the FCC and the "Council of American Families" and other pro-censorship groups than Anax. I have no idea what his stance is on the FCC and censorship and my words seem to imply that I do.

1/25/2006 11:45 AM  
Blogger Anaximander said...

I am against censorship. I think the FCC has a job, but regulating content is not it. I don't agree with everything Stern does or says, but I find him funny and entertaining. I was not insulted.

As for your comments on Alito, I don't think he is better qualified to interpret the constitution than you are, or I am, or anyone who speaks/reads and understands English is. I hope he would agree with me. A justices job should be pretty easy - is the issue before me covered by the constitution? If so, what are the words in the constitution? And what do those words mean, in plain English?

It is only when the people in that position need to 'find' or 'create' a right that is not there that it gets tricky ... read Roe v. Wade and find the plain language in the constitution that the Court relied upon for that decision. That takes real lawyerly skills to get to that interpretation ... and don't people hate lawyers for not speaking plain english and for convoluting what is clear?

1/31/2006 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home